Prep 1 hr
Cook 12 hrs
Recipe courtesy Beatrice Ojakangas from her book, The Great Scandinavian Baking Book.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 8 ounces butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cardamom, salt and cream of tartar.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until very pale and fluffy, add egg, one at a time.
- Combine the flour mixture and the butter mixture.
- Press the dough like a disk, wrap, chill in the fridge for half day.
- Take a small portion of dough (about 2 tablespoons), shape into a 5-inch long strand and make it into circle.
- Use a scissor or knife to cut the outside edge.
- Preheat 2-inch deep oil, fry the cookies over medium/ medium-high heat, adjust the heat from time to time.
- Sprinkle powder sugar over the cookies to serve.