Recipe by Pokey in San Antonio, TX
This recipe is dedicated to Chef Queen Dragon Mom--she hates calimari, but I'm hoping this recipe will change her mind :0)
- 2 lbs fresh squid (cleaned and cut into rings)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 -3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons tony's seasoning (optional) or 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and pat squid rings dry.
- Pour flour into zip lock bag along with salt, pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder: shake to mix.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the eggs, milk, and hot sauce (I use Texas Pete).
- Pour remaining flour in another zip lock bag.
- Working with a few rings at a time, shake in unseasoned flour, dip into egg/milk mixture, shake off excess, then shake in seasoned flour.
- Fry in hot oil (350 degrees) until a light golden brown. I recommend doing just a couple of rings at first as a taste test. Add seasoning to flour if required.
- After frying, place on paper towel to drain, and re-season with Tony's (optional). Just a little salt is fine as well.
- Note: I don't recommend using Tony's as the seasoning for the flour--it comes out too salty.