- 1 lb cleaned calamari, cut into rings
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal or 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (I like garlic and parsley flavored)
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- First, coat the calamari rings in corn meal, shaking them out to get rid of any excess.
- Then dip them into a mixture of the eggs and garlic.
- Lastly, dip them into the bread crumbs mixed with salt, coating them well, and shaking off any excess.
- Up to this point may be done in advance, and the calamari rings refrigerated for a couple of hours, until you are ready to fry.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil (the secret to crispy calamari is hot, hot oil, just below the smoking point.) Fry the rings (in batches) about 1 minute, or until they are golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- If you have a deep fryer it's best, but otherwise, make sure the oil is deep enough to cover the calamari.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges, garlic mayo, and marinara sauce.