Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
We love fried cabbage, this is a low carb recipe that I found.
- 5 -7 slices bacon (depending on thickness)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, slice very thin
- 1 small cabbage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Cut bacon into 1 inch pices.
- Place in large frying pan and cook until ready to turn.
- Add butter and onion and cook until medium brown.
- Add cut cabbage and add bay leaf,if using.
- Add enough water to cover (1/4 cup at a time).
- Cover and allow to steam, stirring often, and adding water as needed to help loosen brown bits in thr pan.
- Cook 15-20 minutes (it will cook down quite a bit in volume.) Taste to check for desired tenderness, When almost done, add vinegar, stir, and heat an additional 5 minutes, Sprinkle with coarse black pepper just before serving, If desired.
This was very good. Although I'm not quite sure what I expected, it reminded me almost of cooked coleslaw...am I weird or what? I am an avid fan of bay leaves, so you can bet I jumped on the option to include it. DH commented while we were eating that although he wouldn't want this for cooked cabbage every time, once in awhile would be nice. Thank you for sharing Barb. I can see how chia's suggestion of serving over mashed potatoes would possibly be very closely related to saurkraut and I love that with mash potatoes...I'll have to keep it in mind next time.
this is really good and i can seriously call this comfort food served over mashed potatoes. i enjoyed every mouthful, thanks barb
this is an easy dinner or side i used lemon juice instead of vinegar and just little