Recipe by JanetB-KY
A nice dish to go with any meat dinner. I like to sprinkle some vinegar over it when I eat it but that's a personal preference & not part of the original recipe. Posted for ZWT Three (The Zaar format is being ornery right now. This calls for 4 oz. bacon but no matter how I phrase it, it won't accept it.)
Top Review by Chef Mommie
very good! Not too much different from mine. I usually don't add onion and I usually just use the bacon grease. I like this and will be using this recipe more! Thank you Janet!!! Made for ZWT3 by a Floozie- Remembering Amy!
- 1 lb shredded cabbage (any variety, the bagged cole slaw mixes work well)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 slices uncooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute the onion and bacon in the olive oil in a large pot until the onion is softened and the bacon is cooked through; add the garlic and cook for about another two minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the cabbage to the pot; it will take up a lot of room but will wilt down as it cooks.
- Cook until the cabbage is done, stirring frequently.
- It will take about ten to twelve minutes; if you want a softer cabbage, cover the pot and let it steam for about an extra five minutes or so.
- If desired, a little bit of sugar and vinegar can be added near the end of cooking time.