Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a fantastic comfort food recipe!One thing about comfort foods is that you can add a little of this and a little of that, to absolutely make it your comfort food. Feel free to add your special ingredient!
- 1360.77 g cabbage, quartered, core removed, and cut into a large 1-inch dice
- 226.79 g sliced bacon
- 1 of medium onion, sliced thinly
- 118.29 ml water
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground black pepper
- Cut the cabbage into quarters. Remove any wilted or discolored outer leaves. Cut out the core from the cabbge quarters. Cut into large 1-inch dice.
- Cook the bacon and onion in a 4-quart pan over medium heat until bacon is crisp, and the onion is wilted.
- Remove the bacon and onion to paper towels to drain. There should be about 1/2 cup of bacon drippings in the pan.
- Add the cabbage to these drippings and cook without stirring until it begins to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the water, sugar, salt and pepper and cook until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Crumble the cooked bacon into the cabbage and serve hot.
Delicious! I too left out the sugar so it fits into my "Primal Blueprint" program.
I've never had anything like it.
My favorite way to eat cabbage- this stuff is irresistible! The only change I make is that I don't add sugar. These are wonderful w/ mashed potatoes.This is a definite keeper!
This fried cabbage was wonderful. So delicious. Made exactly as written and would not change a thing. Simply perfect served with roasted potatoes and Roasted Pea meal Bacon Roast. Thanks so much for sharing. Made for Whats on the Menu tag game.