Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love my fried cabbage with lot's of flavour and textures.
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb bacon
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 whole green cabbage, cored & cut into eighth
- 1 dash hot sauce, to taste (I use Frank's)
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1 can pineapple chunk, reserving a few tablespoons of it own juice
- In a large skillet fry bacon, set bacon aside to drain.
- Pour off some of the grease.
- Saute the garlic in the pan till lightly coloured.
- Add the sugar, cabbage, hot sauce and apple tossing to coat.
- On medium heat cook and turn every few minutes until mixture begins to wilt down (about 5 minutes).
- Then cover and lower heat to a simmer.
- Simmer about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Push aside some of the mixture, Raise the heat to medium, add the pineapple chunks with the juice, saute quickly to brown.
- Stir all again to mix.
- Cover and simmer about 5 more minutes or until as soft as you perfer.
- Add crumbled bacon to mix.
I also sprinkled toasted sesame seeds over the top! Excellent and different! Damian in Somewhere in Washington