Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Live to Cook by Michael Symon.
- canola oil, for deep frying
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 salt-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed, filleted, and minced
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb Brussels sprout, trimmed and quartered lengthwise
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed and patted dry
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Pour enough oil into a medium pot so that the oil comes 3 inches up the sides. heat the oil to 350°F (175°C).
- While the oil is heating, whisk together the garlic, anchovies, serrano chile, red wine vinegar, honey, scallions, walnuts, and extra-virgin olive oil in a bowl large enough to toss all the Brussels sprouts. Keep the bowl near the stovetop.
- Working in batches, deep-fry the Brussels sprouts until the edges begin to curl and brown, about 3 minutes. To the last batch, add the parsley and capers. (Stand back—the capers will pop and sputter!) Give the contents of the pot a stir. When the color of the parsley becomes a deeper, more saturated shade of green, about 1/2 to 1 minute, remove the contents of the pot with a skimmer and place directly into the bowl of dressing. Toss to coat. Add salt and pepper to taste.