Recipe by Lvs2Cook
This is delicious! The original recipe came from the Desperation Dinners column in my newspaper. I used garlic oil instead of peanut oil. You could add some cooked chicken, cooked pork, cooked shrimp or cooked beef to make a main dish.
Top Review by plantfreek
Made this for dinner last nite. It's a good start altho we prefer a more highly flavored/seasoned dish. We grow all our own veggies so I went out in the garden and picked some fresh zucchini, yellow squash and green onions and diced them up evenly in a 1/2"chop. I also used Toasted Sesame Oil as it has more flavor then regular sesame oil. I added a lot of fresh garlic. The directions in this recipe are spot on-many cooks tend to "scramble" their eggs rather then cooking them to a flat dry surface. Cooking them flat enables you to cut them in strips which is more authentic and looks nicer too. We enjoyed this recipe just thought it was a little bland for our palettes. I kicked up the flavor by adding some Sriracha and red chili peppers and added a fresh chopped red bell pepper to it. There are a lot of mediocre fried rice recipes out there and this is a good recipe to start. You can customize it to your own tastes.Thanks for posting.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 12 baby carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or 1 tablespoon other vegetable oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, cold
- 1 -2 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green pea
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a deep skillet or wok with cooking spray (I used some garlic oil) and heat on medium.
- Beat eggs lightly, pour into pan, and cook without stirring until they are almost dry.
- Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Heat oil in same pan over medium high heat and add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring from time to time, for about 2 minutes.
- Ad mushrooms and garlic and cook and stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add the sherry, soy sauce, and cooked rice. Continue to cook, stirring from time to time, for about 3 minutes.
- Add green onions, peas and sesame oil.
- Cut the eggs into thin ribbon strips, add to pan, and toss well to mix all ingredients.
- Serve at once with extra soy sauce if desired.