My friends and I used to make this for every barbeque when I was growing up. It is an adaptation of a recipe my girlfriend's dad saw on TV. Although I have no idea what that original recipe was, this one tastes soooooooooo good with barbequed anything! It is broccoli so it tastes like broccoli. If you're expecting something else then this recipe won't please you :)
- In a frying pan heat olive oil.
- Put in a pinch of rosemary and saute until the scent gets very pungent.
- Add broccoli and a couple of dashes of white pepper (2-4).
- Saute until the broccoli gets very green but looks crunchy/cooked.
- Lastly, toss in bread crumbs a bit at a time while still sauteing.
- The crumbs will start to stick into the broccoli.
- Once all or most of the crumbs are in the broccoli, saute for 1 or 2 minutes longer to brown.
- Serve right away.
I'm going to leave out the star rating for now because my first try with this didn't work properly. I didn't use a non-stick skillet, and I really think that may be a necessity for this recipe. My breadcrumbs promptly soaked up all the olive oil (and I added extra too) and then stuck themselves to the bottom of the pan instead of the broccoli. No amount of stirring and scraping could correct it. Now, my boyfriend and I very much liked the flavor of the broccoli with the olive oil and rosemary, but I know it didn't turn out as intended, with just a few soggy breadcrumbs clinging on. So next time, I will try it with a non-stick skillet, see if that does the trick, and will come back for an update.
If you want it like it is at Red Lobster, try panko bread crumbs.
GREAT recipe! I used garlic and onion powder instead of rosemary. It was wonderful! Thanks for posting! My new favorite way to eat broccoli! - Making it again for the second night in a row! Also, I used frozen broccoli........1 bunch broccoli = about 4-5 cups frozen.