Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This has been a Christmas morning tradition in our home for the past 43+ years. It is so easy and one that the family wouldn't want to be without. Serve it with butter and confectioners sugar, or maple syrup if you choose. Whatever way--they are yummy! By the way, my grandmother used to raise dough every Friday night for baking bread on Saturday and in the morning would snip off a little bit and fry them for my mom as a treat. I tried the homemade bread dough, and although it was good, I like the frozen bread dough better and my mom agreed.
Top Review by Jeanniedbc
We have always called these "dough-bellies". They are so good, they are dangerous! It works with canned biscuit dough, too. Although, yeast bread dough is ALWAYS better. Also, we don't "pull them slightly" to stretch them out. We stretch as thin as possible to create pockets that are crispy on the outside and hollow in the middle - surrounded by the tender bread, there is not a better combination of texture and flavor. Melted butter is a must.
- 2 loaves frozen white bread dough
- cooking vegetable oil
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray a large platter or bowl with cooking spray.
- Place the two frozen loaves on the platter or bowl and cover with plastic wrap that has also been sprayed (the spray will help the dough not to stick as you are cutting it off in the morning).
- Place in an unheated oven, out of the way of drafts, about ten hours before you want to fry it.
- In the morning, place the vegetable oil in a heavy pan about three inches deep.
- Heat the oil on medium high so that when a very small piece of dough is dropped in the oil, it sizzles.
- With a very sharp knife, slices off hunks of dough about the size of small baseball and pull them slightly so that they stretch out.
- Place in hot oil and brown on one side and then turn with fork and brown the other side.
- When done, drain on paper towels and repeat the process.
- Serve hot with butter (and I like a little salt on them), sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
- You may also try cinnamon and sugar or maple syrup.