Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A versatile little cookie that marches to the beat of its own drummer! Get creative and roll the bread in coconut instead of walnuts. Slice the bread strips a little in the middle and add a few raisins or jam before frying or baking. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cinnamon!Enjoy!
- 4 slices of homemade bread (cut 1 inch thick)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts
- Cut crusts off of the bread and cut into 1 inch wide strips.
- Beat egg.
- Add egg to milk, salt, and sugar.
- Dip the bread strips into batter.
- Roll in chopped nuts.
- Deep fry (385 degrees) until brown or bake in oven (450 degrees) 15 minutes.
Quick and easy, my guests were so impressed had never had anything like it. Me either!