Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mom used this on the mornings when we had run out of bread. She also used it to make sandwiches if needed. It came from my Granny who used it to round out meals during the Depression.
- Mix flour and baking powder. Add water to make a soft dough. Pat dough out on a sheet of plastic wrap to about 1/2" thick.
- Heat up about 1/4" of oil or lard to medium heat in a cast iron or non stick pan.
- Cut dough into about 9 biscuits.
- Fry on one side until brown. Flip and cook about 2-3 minutes more. Test for doneness by flaking the side of a biscuit with a fork. If it seems dry inside it is done.
- Serve with butter and jam. Can also be napped with gravy and served with stewed hamburger and onions.
My cupboards were bare and bellies were empty, so when I found this recipe I was thrilled. Since there was no butter, jam or gravy available I got creative and added a few dashes of spices I had in the cupboard, the only salt I had was in a rosemary coarse salt blend so I added 2 teaspoons of that and some crushed garlic cloves in the dough before frying. It was great Thank you so much :)
Have not tried this yet,however, my dad made something quite similar when we were growing up. Most often it was our weekend breakfast bread when we were out of loaf bread or he just felt like making it. I still make it sometimes. His was just self-rising flour, salt & water mixed to the consistency of pancake batter and fried up just like a pancake would be. We loved it with our sausage, grits & eggs!
I think this dish has a lot of potential, and I'm sure I'll will be make it again. Before attempting this again, I'll have to figure out what seasonings to use, by reading all of the review, and see that will work for others, and than for me, to make it more flavorful or lot better for me to do! Anyway, excellent to do a SCRATCH on recipes. The more I play with my food, the more I love cooking, to make a recipe that will work for me, that is!! Than I can do the happy food dance!! I've will added this to my recipe book with my additions. THANK YOU!!