Recipe by Nana Lee
Seeing Forgiven's fried bologna sandwiches reminded me of something I haven't had in ages! We used to make the fried bologna sandwiches when I was a kind and I made them for my daughter and granddaughters as well. Then we also used to have this recipe for breakfast! Pre-MacDonald and the other fast food places. See SERVING SUGGESTIONS at end of directions.
Directions See How It's Made
- Snip the edges of the bologna about 1/4 inch in and about 1/2 inch apart all around the each slice. I keep a pair of scissors in the kitchen specifically for this kind of thing. I also use them to cut up bacon, etc.
- Fry each slice on both sides in butter. You may have to hold the slices flat with the spatula to keep them from curling up too soon.
- When the second side is done, flip it over and let it curl up into a cup form.
- Place on plate and put in low temp oven to keep warm.
- Fry eggs to desired doneness. We liked ours over but with the yolk still soft.
- When ready put one fried egg in each bologna "cup" and top with a slice of cheese.
- Place under broiler ONLY until the cheese begins to melt. You don't want to over cook the eggs.
- SERVING SUGGESTION:.
- These could be served on toasted, buttered English muffin halves, scones, crumpets, or just plain toast, with a side of home fries and some fruit.
- You could use any type of cheese, including things like feta or shredded cheeses.