Aboriginal style fried bannock.
Make and share this Fried Bannock recipe from Food.com.
- Mix half the flour with the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add water until the mixture becomes thick, "like a paper mache paste".
- Add more flour until the dough feels like a soft earlobe.
- Heat the oil or lard over a medium-high heat until very hot, but not smoking.
- Break off small pieces of the dough and flatten each to the size of your palm, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Place the pieces in the hot oil, turn after about 3 minutes, or when golden brown.
- Place the bannock on a paper towel to soak up the excess grease.
- Serve plain or with jam.