This is posted for the World Tour 05 RecipeZaar event. I haven't tried this particular recipe yet, but I love fried bananas. This is a recipe from the Cape Verde Islands as written in The Africa Cookbook - Tastes of A Continent by Jessica B. Harris.
- Heat oil to 375°F in a Dutch oven or deep fryer.
- Mix corn flour and sugar in a bowl. Add butter, egg, salt, rum, and milk, stirring until it forms a thick batter.
- Peel bananas, and cut into quarters. Mix cinnamon with brown sugar. Sprinkle half the cinnamon/ brown sugar mixture on the banana quarters.
- Roll banana quarters in the batter, and drop carefully into the hot oil, a few at a time. Fry 2 - 3 minutes on each side, turning once, until golden brown.
- Drain fried bananas on paper towels and dust with remaining cinnamon/brown sugar mixture.
- Continue until all banana quarters are fried and dusted. Serve warm.