Recipe by Mille®
Just as South and Central American countries have their fried plantains, the Vietnamese have fried bananas, usually sold on the streets by women in front of their houses. The firmer the bananas, the better.
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 medium bananas (the firmer they are, the better)
- peanut oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the flour, sugar, egg, milk and salt to make a smooth, paste-like batter.
- Leave to rest for one hour.
- Peel the bananas and slice each one in half lengthwise, then across into chunks about three inches long.
- Dip the banana pieces into the batter and shallow fry in hot oil for a few minutes or until golden brown all over.
- Drain quickly on a wire rack or paper towel, and serve warm.
- If you like, serve them with real maple syrup, powdered sugar, or honey, for extra sweetness.