Recipe by Sharon123
From Emeril Lagasse's cookbook, New New Orleans Cooking, this is marvelous! Tweaked just a little to my liking!
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 4 firm-ripe avocados, peeled,pitted,and each sliced into 8 even pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaf, plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup diced red onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 1⁄2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- lime wedge, for garnish
Emerils Essence Creole Seasoning also known as Bayou Blast use 3/4 tsp
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce and avocado slices.
- Soak for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, red onion, jalapeno pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Chill until ready to use.
- In a medium deep-fryer, fill oil to a depth of 3 to 4 inches (no more than halfway up sides of the pan.) Heat oil to 375 degrees F over medium-high heat.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, 3/4 tsp Essence, baking powder, and the remaining teaspoon of salt in a shallow dish.
- Dredge soaked avocado slices in the cornmeal mixture, shaking to remove excess cornmeal.
- Place avocado slices in the hot oil and fry until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes each side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove slices and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Season with additional Essence.
- Serve immediately with spicy lime crema and garnish with lime wedges.
- For the Essence:.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Yield: 2/3 cup.