Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I found this in Taste of Home's Simple and Delicious. July/August 2007.
Make and share this Fried Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup non-alcoholic beer
- 3 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus, trimmed
- oil (for deep frying)
- ranch salad dressing, for dipping
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine beer and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Dip asparagus into batter.
- In a electric skillet, heat 1 1/2in. of oil to 375°. Fry asparagus in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with ranch dressing.
I have been making this recipe for a few years. My husband and I think they are awesome and some of my kids like them, too. Great substitute for french fries!
I had eaten some fried asparagus with a crabmeat topping at a fancy restaurant in town and wanted to duplicate this dish for a dinner party. I set my beer out and let it get flat and used peanut oil to fry the asparagus in. Then, I served it with a spoonful of herbed-butter lump crabmeat on top. This recipe was perfect and the batter was better than the batter at the fancy restaurant. A perfect side dish for a grilled steak. Thanks for posting this.
I loved this recipe in TOH issue,, and love Recipezaar for the ease it is to find the recipe again,