- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup non-alcoholic beer
- 3 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus, trimmed
- oil (for deep frying)
- ranch salad dressing, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Combine beer and egg whites; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Dip asparagus into batter.
- In a electric skillet, heat 1 1/2in. of oil to 375°. Fry asparagus in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with ranch dressing.