Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This Recipe is posted by request-original found in "The Lady and Sons, Too" by Paula H.Deen.
Make and share this Fried Apple Pies-Dried Fruit recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (5 ounce) packages dried apples
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (Or Fried Pie Dough Dough for Fried Pies by Darleen Summers)
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups Crisco cooking oil or 1 1⁄2-2 cups vegetable oil
- Cook the apples with the water in a large covered pot over medium-low heat for 1 hour, or until all liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add the sugar, butter, and cinnamon, mixing well.
- Set aside to cool.
- Prepare recipe# 22729 by Darleen Summers or Unfold the refrigerated pie crust and roll out until a 12 inch circle has been formed-repeat with the remaining crust.
- Cut each crust into 9 4-inch circles (do the same with the homemade crust if using).
- Place one heaping Tablespoon of pie filling onto each circle, slightly off center.
- Moisten the edges with water and fold over, gently pressing out any air.
- Crimp with a fork.
- In a heavy skillet melt/heat oil over medium high heat, bringing it to a tempture of 350 degrees.
- Fry pies in batches, 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Makes 16-18 fried pies.
- If you wish while hot sprinkle with granulated sugar.
Great fried dried apple pie recipe. Just the right amount of cinnamon in it. Will make these many more times. Thanks for sharing.
This is exactly the way my mother taught me to make the pies and they are perfect. As a child I can remember her putting the dried apples in a pillow case and hanging them from the rafters upstairs.