Recipe by mstrcook
Better late than never!! LOL!
Top Review by cmdandgle
These were very good. A previous comment mentioned that the recipe didn't tell when to cut in the shortening so I cut in the shortening in between step 7 & 8. The leftover pies froze very well and were just as delicious when baked at 350 for 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 lbs apples, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- to taste powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oil for frying.
- In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the apples and saute for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cinnamon, nutmeg, 1/4 cup sugar, and brown sugar. Continue sauteing for 1 minute, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the water and lemon juice. Bring the liquid up to a boil.
- Add corn starch dissolved in 1 Tablespoon of water.
- Whisk the vanilla and slurry into the liquid. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the apples are soft. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder, together.
- Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, working it to make a thick dough.
- Break the dough into 12 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough pieces into thin rounds, about 5 inches in diameter.
- Put 1/4 cup of the mixture in the center of each round, fold over and crimp the edges with a fork.
- Fry the pies, two to three at a time, in the hot oil, until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
- Powder the pies with the powdered sugar. May serve with vanilla ice cream.