Recipe by Cooking with Conscience
Zucchini that freezes well, and makes a delicious side dish - any time of year!
- 2 -3 small-medium summer squash
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- garlic powder
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips (in food processor)
- 1 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons oil, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the squash in 1/4-inch slices and lay out on 2 cookie sheets. Sprinkle sparingly with half the salt and allow them to sweat for about 10 minutes. Then turn over and repeat on the other side, trying not to add too much salt. Once on the second side, sprinkle a bit of pepper and garlic powder on as well.
- In a shallow bowl or large plate, mix the crumbs and flour. (You can use bread crumbs or crushed crackers, too) Dust each slice with the flour mixture. Do not try to cake it on, as it will fall off during frying. Fry zucchini coins in 1 T oil, flipping after about 3 minutes. I like to replace the oil after a few batches. Drain on paper towels. You may eat them fresh - they're delicious!
- Or - Lay them out on a lined cooke sheet and freeze. Place in a freezer bag for storage.
- I then like to bake them at 400º for about 15 minutes to serve. Enjoy!