Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Got this one a while ago from my local newspaper but haven't tried it yet. They sound like they'd go well with an Asian-inspired dish, steak, chicken, or pork chops. *Times are just an approximation.*
- 1 1⁄3 lbs yams
- 4 cups cooking oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
- a bowl of cold water, for dipping
- Wash the yams, pare, and cut them into bite-sized chunks.
- Heat a wok or a large, deep pan; add 4 cups of the oil and heat to 250*F.
- Deep fry the yam chunks until tender, 1-2 minutes.
- Heat another wok or pan and add the 1 Tbsp.
- oil and the sugar; cook over low heat until the sugar is melted and caramelized.
- Add the fried yams; mix well.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds before removing to a plate.
- When serving, dip the caramelized yams in a bowl of cold water, one by one, while hot.