Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Anchovy-lovers...rejoice! These are unbelieveable! From Martha Stewart.
- whole milk, for soaking
- 18 best quality anchovy fillets
- 36 narrow fresh sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons instant flour (like Wondra)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- extra virgin olive oil (for frying)
- Put milk in shallow dish. Add anchovy fillet, soak 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels and pat dry. Cut fillets to be the same length as the sage leaves. lay each sage leaf face up on a large cutting board. Place an anchovy fillet on half of the sage leaves, crush with fork tines, being careful not to tear leaves. Sandwich with another leaf, face down. Press with the back of a spoon to seal.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Put flour into one bowl and egg into another. Heat 1/4" oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat 6 of the anchovy-sage sandwiches with flour, shaking off any excess, then with egg, allowing excess to drip off. Fry, turning once, until golden, 45 seconds to 1 minute per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer to oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining anchovies in batches. Serve immediately.
I absolutely love anchovies and I loved these! They are unlike anything I have ever had. Outstanding. I have an anchovy salad dressing Anchovy and Caper Salad Dressing that I enjoy and these would be delicious on top of an arugula or mixed baby greens salad with my dressing. Unfortunately, anchovies are not to everyones taste. Fortunately, I do not care. I loved this recipe.