Recipe by Ferrouswolf
Made this recipe to get rid of things in the fridge and to have something to eat.
- 3 lbs 90% lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (not necessarily hot, savory flavor matters more than heat here)
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, charred
- 4 jalapenos, charred
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- pork bone (optional)
- 4 cups canned pinto beans
- 12 ounces dark beer (optional, choose one that isn't hoppy)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef in chili pot. Remove from pot and set aside in a colander or strainer to allow excess fat to drain off.
- Remove all but 3 tablespoons beef fat. Save beef fat for another use (like frying eggs). Saute chili powder in beef fat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Brown onions, deglazing with beer or water as necessary.
- Add garlic and stir furiously. When the onions and garlic start to dry up, add tomato sauce to deglaze. Reduce until almost dried.
- Meanwhile, char your peppers. When cool enough to handle, remove seeds and chop. Add to pot and stir to incorporate.
- Add pork bones, if using and tomatoes. Stir to incorporate.
- Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes before adding beef, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes before serving.