Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've seen several versions of this sauce, but not one like this. This recipe is from America's Most Wanted Recipes - Copycat Versions of Everyone's Best-Loved Food.
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup white grape juice
- 1⁄2 cup jack daniel's tennessee whiskey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Combine all th ingredients in a saucepan in the order listed, mixing and stirring after each addition.
- Place over medium heat and stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat until the mixture is slowly simmering.
- Cook the sauce for 35 to 45 minutes, until thick and bubbling.
The flavor of the recipe is perfect, exactly like the sauce at TGIF. The only change I made was to mix 2 teaspoons of cornstarch with about 1/4 cup cold water and then add to the sauce, after it had boiled and reduced for about 40 minutes. I brought the mixture back to a boil, stirred, and it thickened nicely. I found that without the cornstarch the sauce was simply boiling and reducing without thickening. We brushed this on salmon fillets, broiled each side for six minutes on low, and poured a little of the sauce on the fish before serving - excellent!