Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This started as refrigerator sweep, and I used left over mushroom rice from the day before. However; this can all be made the same day, and cooked chicken could be used instead of shrimp. Cooking is a Creative Sport.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 1 (5 ounce) bagof cocktail cooked shrimp
- 1 (7 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan, add the butter and stir until melted.
- Sauté the onion in the oil/butter until transparent. Add the rice and stir until coated with the oil/butter, and then add the mushroom pieces, followed by 1 cup of the chicken broth.
- Cover, reduce the heat to the absolute minimum cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the flame and let the rice sit (Do Not Peek) covered for another 10 minutes.
- Divide the rice/mushroom between 2 soup bowls.
- Add the remaining chicken broth to the sauce pan and heat until it starts to boil.
- Add thawed shrimp to the boiling chicken broth, followed by the garlic, immediately turn off the heat, stir, and pour into the bowls.
- Adjust taste with salt, pepper, or maybe lemon juice.