2 hrs 30 mins
Chef #302958's Note:
This is a great dish for Friday Nights when your mates are over. You can just pop it in the oven and forget about it, spend your time entertaining instead. Adjust the heat by adding or removing jalapenos (you can always serve them on the side later if you need). Tastes great served with crusty bread. From Australian Good Taste mag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 800 g topside beef, cubed
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 red pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 (400 g) cans tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno chiles, drained and finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- sour cream, to serve
- fresh cilantro leaves, to serve
- 1Cover beans with water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside for 1 hour to soak. Drain.
- 2Preheat oven to 160°C . Heat half the oil in a large pan and cook the beef in it over high heat until it's brown all over (2-3 minutes). Set the beef aside in a large casserole dish.
- 3Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the onion and peppers and cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Add spices and cook until aromatic (about 1 minute).
- 4Add tomato, jalapenos, and water and bring to the boil. Pour tomato mixture into the bowl containing the beef. Add the drained red kidney beans.
- 5Bake the mixture, covered, for about 2 hour or until beef and beans are tender. Remove dish from the oven and give it a few minutes to cool. Fish out all of the beef pieces and shred them up using two forks. Return the beef to the mixture and stir to combine.
- 6Serve with a dollop of sour cream and fresh coriander leaves, with crusty bread on the side.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Friday Night Chili Con Carne
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.0
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 58.0 mg
- Sodium 69.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 29.0 g