Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I was so excited to find this Frichik recipe! Don't substitute anything else for it or it won't taste the same. Look for Worthington FriChik and McKay's Chicken-Style Seasoning in health food stores or some supermarkets. It comes in a can, and is a tender, juicy, healthful alternative to chicken, made from textured wheat gluten. These wontons take a little extra time, but to me they are worth it! From the "Choices - Quick and Healthy Cooking" cookbook.
- 12 1⁄2 ounces Worthington FriChik (I usually keep the juice from the can to make a vegetarian gravy)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated fine
- 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning (I use McKay's Chicken-Style Seasoning)
- 32 wonton skins
- In food processor, chop well-drained FriChik until very fine. Place in a small mixing bowl.
- In food processor or by hand; finely chop the onion and add to FriChik. Add the grated carrot, chopped water chestnuts, and McKay's Chicken-Style Seasoning. Mix well.
- To assemble: Place wonton square on flat surface and put 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Brush the edges of the wonton lightly with water. Fold the bottom corner up to meet the top corner, making a triangle, and seal edges. This shape is best for browning the wontons evenly if you are sauteing or baking them. For a facier design, pull the outside corners together and twist slightly.
- To cook: Spray wontons and nonstick skillet with nonstick vegetable spray. Add wontons to skillet and cook on medium-high temperature, turning after 2-3 minutes when wontons are lightly browned and crunchy. Or put wontons sprayed with nonstick spray on cookie sheet also sprayed with nonstick vegetable spray and bake in 450 degree F oven until lightly browned, approximately 10 minutes per side.