Recipe by Sweetiebarbara
My father-in-law said that war would end if we followed a simple rule: what you kill, you have to eat. Thus this recipe. The squirrels were climbing up the walnut tree onto the roof, into the attic, and then chewing the wood of the house and tossing the insulation to the breeze. I decided to put a stop to it by trapping the squirrels (and eating them, of course). This is the dish I took to an "Elvis party".
- 1 squirrel (cleaned and cut into 6 pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 peppercorns (freshly ground)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 slices bacon (diced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup medium-dry sherry (I use very dry)
Directions See How It's Made
- Kill the squirrel. (I used rat traps nailed to the walnut tree).
- Clean, dress, and cut the squrriel into 6 pieces.
- Rub with salt and pepper, and roll in flour.
- Slowly fry squirrel with bacon until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until tender, adding more sherry or broth, if needed.