Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My father-in-law said that war would end if we followed a simple rule: what you kill, you have to eat. Thus this recipe. The squirrels were climbing up the walnut tree onto the roof, into the attic, and then chewing the wood of the house and tossing the insulation to the breeze. I decided to put a stop to it by trapping the squirrels (and eating them, of course). This is the dish I took to an "Elvis party".
- 1 squirrel (cleaned and cut into 6 pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 peppercorns (freshly ground)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 slices bacon (diced)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup medium-dry sherry (I use very dry)
- Kill the squirrel. (I used rat traps nailed to the walnut tree).
- Clean, dress, and cut the squrriel into 6 pieces.
- Rub with salt and pepper, and roll in flour.
- Slowly fry squirrel with bacon until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until tender, adding more sherry or broth, if needed.
Cook me tender,
cook me sweet,
Never let me go.
You have made my life complete,
And I loved you so.
Very Good! And I love step one in preparation...Ha ha ha. I have made slight variations of this recipe, but I never used sherry. I was very impressed with the flavor it added. Being a country boy from PA, I have an abundance of game animals in my freezer and this recipe will definitely be used frequently! Thanks.
WOW this dish was outstanding. Thanks for sharing. We were plagued with I think a relative of your squirrels. They would not stay out of our attic. DH had a solution and so did I and we enjoyed it last night with roasted garlic mashed potatoes and baby limas. The only change I made was I used minced shallots instead of the onion and a sprinkel of fresh chopped parsley. It was wonderful and I will make this everytime DH brings me a "Limb Rat" (OMG, hope I don't offend anyone with that comment, You know like... PETA, I'm an animal lover too. I just know about the food chain). Thanks again, Leslie