Recipe by Julia Leatherwood
Old fashioned French cake now a trendy cafe item "Down Under". I like these because they are so quick and easy to make; minium effort, maxium affect. My sister in law in Australia introduced me to them.
- 185 g butter, melted
- 1 cup ground almonds (125g)
- 6 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar (240g)
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour or 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour (75g)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to Gas 5, 200-210C, 400-425 degrees F.
- Grease 12 muffin cups or friand pans.
- Combine ground almonds, sieved sugar and flour in medium bowl.
- Add egg whites and cooled melted butter and mix with wooden spoon.
- Pour or spoon mixture into prepared pans.
- Bake about 25 minutes, turning pan/s during cooking.
- Friands should spring back to the touch Variations: Before baking- Scatter sliced strawberries on top.
- Add juice and grated rind of lemon to batter, top with raspberries.
- Scatter sliced plums or nectarines or peaches on top and add a tsp of almond essence to batter.
- Any flavourings work plus adding some finely chopped chocolate, white or dark works well with raspberries.