Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
- 7 medium boiling potatoes, peeled & cut into 2 x 1/4 inch strips
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 -3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 16 flat anchovy fillets, drained
- white pepper
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/4 inch bits
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the potato strips in cold water to keep them from discoloring.
- Heat 2 tbsps.
- of butter and 2 tbsps.
- of oil in a 10 to 12" skillet; when the foam subsides, add the onions and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are soft but not brown.
- With a pastry brush or paper towels, spread a 1 1/2 to 2-quart souffle or baking dish with the remaining half tbsp.
- of butter.
- Drain the potatoes and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish and then alternate layers of onions and anchovies ending with potatoes.
- Sprinkle each layer with a little white pepper.
- Scatter bread crumbs over the top layer of potatoes and dot the casserole with the 2 tablespoons of butter cut into bits.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk and cream until it barely simmers, then pour over potatoes.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife or skewer and the liquid is nearly absorbed.