Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Simple Gumbo recipe from Sunset Magazine 1987
- 3⁄4 lb smoked sausage, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 3⁄4 cups lentils
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- n a 5 to 7 quart pan, over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring, until brow.
- Spoon from pan; reserve. Add oil to drippings in pan to make 1/3 cup fat.
- Add flour; stir until mixture is red brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add celery, garlic, onion and carrots;, cook, stirring until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add reserved sausage, chicken broth lentils, worcestershire, pepper and cayenne.
- Bring to boiling over high ehat; redue to simmer, cover and cook until lentils ar soft when pressed, about 40 minutes.
- Sunset Magazine February 1987.