Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Favorite Recipes II Sunset Magazine.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 -10 slices white bread, firm
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- In a blender or food processor, whirl eggs until blended.
- Add flour, milk, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla, and whirl until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Cut bread slices in half diagonally to form triangles.
- Lay bread in egg mixture, turning to soak both sides well.
- Heat 2 T butter and 1 T oil in a wide frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Drain bread slices briefly and fry, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown on both sides.
- Add remaining butter and oil as needed.
- Arrange toast on a serving platter and keep warm in a 150° oven until all are cooked.
I now have a new method to use to make French Toast. Loved the crispy outside and the fully cooked insides! My DS had me make some with the cinnamon and some without (not his favorite spice - gasp!) and both worked well. Absolutely perfect recipe! So glad I found it during ZWT8.
Fantastic French toast!!! Loved the crisper texture and the cinnamon flavor!! This is a French toast recipe that will be made again at our house. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 8.
Wow this is a great version of French toast! Loved all the cinnamon in the batter. I wondered if the batter would really soak into the bread and to my pleasant surprise it did, creating a fairly crispy outside and moist inside for the toast. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!