Recipe by Lavender Lynn
This is from Favorite Recipes II Sunset Magazine.
Top Review by HokiesMom
I now have a new method to use to make French Toast. Loved the crispy outside and the fully cooked insides! My DS had me make some with the cinnamon and some without (not his favorite spice - gasp!) and both worked well. Absolutely perfect recipe! So glad I found it during ZWT8.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 -10 slices white bread, firm
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender or food processor, whirl eggs until blended.
- Add flour, milk, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla, and whirl until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a shallow baking dish.
- Cut bread slices in half diagonally to form triangles.
- Lay bread in egg mixture, turning to soak both sides well.
- Heat 2 T butter and 1 T oil in a wide frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Drain bread slices briefly and fry, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown on both sides.
- Add remaining butter and oil as needed.
- Arrange toast on a serving platter and keep warm in a 150° oven until all are cooked.