Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is raw fish, marinated in spices. For me this would be served especially at Christmas, but it's so nice there's no reason why not to eat it any time. Traditionally you do this with a whole salmon, but that's not always practical!
- 2 salmon fillets, about the same size and thickness, skin on
- 1⁄3 cup coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 -4 teaspoons white pepper, roughly ground
- fresh dill, roughly chopped
- Wipe the fillets with a paper towel, but don't rinse. Take out possible big bones that might be left.
- Place the fillets skin side down on a work surface. Sprinkle with salt, sugar, pepper and fresh dill.
- Place on of the fillets on top of the other, skin side up, so that the seasoned sides are together. Wrap tightly in a plastic wrap.
- Put a small weight on top of the salmon and put in in the fridge for minimum of 24 hours, but preferably 2-3 days.
- Before serving, scrape off the seasoning and cut the fillets into thin slices.
- You can serve this with a slice of lemon, on some nice bread, with boiled potatoes, as an appetizer, as an evening snack. Or just eat it all by yourself. Delicious.