Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This meal can be on the table in 30 minutes max. Recipe is from Family Circle.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 1 pound
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) canplum tomatoes with juice, broken up with a spoon
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed (quartered lengthwise and sliced)
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, cored and seeded (cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1⁄4 lb bocconcini (small fresh mozzarella balls, quartered)
- Lightly coat grill rack or grill pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium high.
- Cook pasta following package directions.
- Season chicken with 1/4 t of the salt and 1/4 t of the pepper.
- Grill chicken, about 6 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then cut into thin strips.
- When pasta is done, drain and toss in a bowl with 2 T of the oil.
- Set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 T oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with their juice, zucchini and yellow pepper; cook 3 more minutes.
- Add vinegar, tomato paste, remaining 1 t salt and 1/4 t pepper; cook 3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and heat through.
- Remove from heat.
- Toss sauce with pasta, basil and mozzarella and serve.
My family loved this recipe. It is a great summertime meal with a lot of wonderful flavor.
What makes this recipe is the balsamic vinegar. It really adds some nice depth to the tomatoes. Plus, adding the bocconcini was fun. I didn't love it because it took longer than 30 minutes and required three cooking techniques (grilling, boiling pasta and cooking veggies). However it is a great one dish meal. I served it with green beans and bread.