1/1 Photo of Fresh Vegetable Risotto
Classic risotto is an Italian short grain rice simmered and constantly stirred so it slowly absorbs the cooking liquid, resulting in a creamy, delicious dish. This one is flavored with colorful vegetables and two cheeses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup arborio rice or 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup bite-size asparagus or 3/4 cup broccoli, pieces
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced (3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese (4 ounces) or 1 cup muenster cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 3 tablespoons parsley
- tomato, slices (optional)
- 1In a large saucepan cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot oil till onion is tender but not brown.
- 2Stir in the rice- Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in another saucepan bring the vegetable or chicken broth to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- 4Slowly add 1 cup of the broth to the rice mixture, stirring constantly.
- 5Continue to cook and stir till liquid is absorbed.
- 6Add 1/2 cup broth and the asparagus or broccoli to the rice mixture, stirring constantly.
- 7Continue to cook and stir till liquid is absorbed.
- 8Add 1 cup more broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly till the broth has been absorbed.
- 9This should take about 15 minutes.
- 10Stir in tomato, carrot, and the remaining 1/2 cup broth.
- 11Cook and stir till rice is slighly creamy and just tender.
- 12Stir in fontina or Muenster cheese, Parmesan cheese, and basil or parsley.
- 13If desired, garnish with some tomato slices- Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Vegetable Risotto
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 408.2
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 36.8 mg
- Sodium 327.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 15.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: