Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I've made this salad many times over the last 25 plus years and it's always been a hit. It's originally from an issue of Southern Living. You can add some red bell pepper to this as well as thinly sliced carrots. Chilling time is cook time.
- 4 stalks fresh broccoli
- 8 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks celery, cut into about 1/2 inch slices
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into bite-sized flowerettes
- 1 cup sugar (I've used Splenda)
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil (I've used less)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Remove flowerettes from broccoli and cut into bite-sized pieces. Reserve stalks for another use or peel and cut into bite-sized pieces and use in salad.
- Combine broccoli, mushrooms, pepper, celery, and cauliflower in a large bowl and toss lightly.
- Combine remaining ingredients, mix well, and pour over vegetables.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours.
- *Note: I've put all the dressing ingredients into a food processor along with the onion, diced, and pulsed it to "grate" the onion. Stir in the poppy seeds and pour over the salad.