Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
You can use almost any vegetable in this recipe. Grated zucchini, chopped scallions, and mushrooms all work well. Really good with hot sauce on top.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water or 1 cup milk or 1 cup beer
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 eggs or 2 egg substitute
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups mixed vegetables (corn, chopped kale, spinach, grated carrots, zucchini, squash, cooked black eyed peas, leftover nood)
- frying oil
- Completely mix all the ingredients in a bowl so there are no lumps.
- Stir in the vegetables last.
- Get your skillet good and hot, but don't turn it up as high as it will go, because this causes the outside of the fritters to brown while the inside stays doughy.
- Pour a little oil in the skillet. You don't want to fry these; you want just enough oil so the fritter won't stick.
- Pour in some batter with a tablespoon.
- If you are making alot, use 2 skillets, as it will go twice as fast.
- These cook just like pancakes; when the tops are covered with little air holes, turn them over and let them brown on the other side. The last ones always come out best.