Recipe by Tish
I found this recipe on the back of a box...can't even remember which one, but it is wonderful. Have used a crock pot and top of stove method.
Top Review by Audrey M
My family loves this recipe. Looking for a new Beef and Barley Soup I came across this one. I have the same recipe posted here. My mother passed this recipe down to me. It is full of flavor and all the vegetables give it a nice crunch. Give it a try, it real comfort food.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- -inch pieces green beans
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked barley
- 2⁄3 cup fresh whole kernel corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 9 hours (or high heat setting 4 to 5 hours) or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Note: If you can't find the canned diced tomatoes with garlic, use 2 cans diced tomatoes and add 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- You may also 3/4 cup frozen cut green beans and 2/3 cup frozen whole kernel corn.
- Rinse the frozen vegetables under cold running water to separate and partially thaw them before adding to the soup.