Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another Summer bounty recipe. Faye brought this to a covered dish supper years ago, and gave me the recipe.
- 1 lb tomatoes (peeled and sliced)
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper (sweet banana, if you don't like hot dishes)
- 2 ounces feta cheese (crumbled)
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese (or other white cheese, grated)
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped, more, or less to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (freshly ground)
- Slice squash and onions into thin rounds.
- Thinly slice onions and separate rings.
- Slice pepper into thin rings.
- Place layer of tomatoes, topped by a layer each of onion, squash, and zucchini in a large baking dish.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese, basil, oregano, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Repeat layers.
- Add rings of pepper and more spices to layer.
- Grate white cheese on layers, and top with Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees until cheese is bubbly, but not brown. about 10-15 minutes.
This dish was AWESOME. The only problem was that there was so much water/juice after it was baked. I'm guessing that it should either be baked at a higher temperature or for a longer period. Flaror was out of this world - can't stop thinking about it.