Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from the April issue of Gourmet magazine. It is very good and easy to make.
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 fresh pineapple, halved lengthwise, cored, and peeled
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and soda, and salt into a bowl. Cut pineapple crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick wedges.
- Butter a 9-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep) lightly on side and generously on bottom of pan using 1/2 stick butter. Sprinkle all of brown sugar evenly over bottom and arrange pineapple over it, starting in center of pan and overlapping slices slightly.
- Beat together remaining stick butter, granulated sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with flour and mixing just until batter is smooth.
- Spread batter evenly over pineapple and bake until a wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool 15 minutes in pan on a rack, then invert cake onto a plate and remove pan. Cool to room temperature.
I am going to try this recipe tonight. It looks real simple. I'll let you know how it turned out.
This cake had a good flavor, but it needs to be refrigerated..it only lasts at room temp for a couple of days.