Recipe by Trinkets
There is no comparison between canned and fresh tuna salad. The taste of fresh is just so good! This salad can be used as stuffing for tomatoes, avocados, for sandwiches or as an appetizer with crackers. It's very easy to make, too. I don't like my tuna salad to have a lot of mayonnaise so you may want to add more, to taste. You may also want to play around with the spices, sometimes instead of Old Bay I'll use chopped jalapenos or add chopped fresh herbs like dill and chives. *To note, one reviewer questioned the amount of time I suggest boiling the fish and here's my answer to that: "This recipe is not for a Rare Tuna salad, it's more of a tuna salad for sandwiches, more like the diner tuna salad they make out of tinned tuna, only much better. If you are in search of a recipe for seared tuna to use in Salad Nicoise, this is not it".
Top Review by denisehucks_572366
I have been looking for a recipe for tuna salad using fresh tuna. I had a delightful fresh tuna salad sandwich from a little deli on Ocracoke Island, North Carolina when visiting there...This recipe here makes me nervous! To put two tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning into 1/3 cup of Mayo seems like a typo. I am also afraid to over cook the tuna! Fifteen minutes! Yikes. Somebody help!
- 3⁄4 lb fresh tuna steak
- 2 tablespoons crab boil (liquid)
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning (more or less, to taste)
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large pot with about 1 quart of water and add the liquid crab boil.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the tuna and boil, on medium, for about 15 minutes, or until the tuna starts breaking apart easily.
- Remove from the heat, drain, and place the tuna in a large bowl.
- With a fork and small paring knife break apart, or shred the tuna, however you prefer it. We like a combination of shreds and little chunks.
- Then toss in the celery and onion.
- Mix the mayonnaise and the Old Bay and stir into the tuna.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Sometimes I will add salt, pepper, hot sauce -- you decide how spicy you want it.
- You can serve it at room temperature or chilled.