Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Union Square Cafe. You need to chop the fresh tuna in order to make the burgers, but it is definitely worth it.
For the Glaze
- 1⁄3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
For the Tuna Burgers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh tuna
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 fresh hamburger buns, buttered and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup japanese pickled ginger
- For the Sauce: combine all glaze ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Reserve in a warm place until tuna burgers are cooked.
- For the Burgers: Chop the tuna to the texture of hamburger meat.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped tuna with garlic, mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and divide into 4 equal portions.
- Form into patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the burgers and sear until browned and medium rare, about 3-4 minutes per side(or longer for well done burgers).
- Brush each burger with glaze and serve on a buttered toasted bun with pickled ginger bits.