Recipe by Recipe Reader
From Union Square Cafe. You need to chop the fresh tuna in order to make the burgers, but it is definitely worth it.
For the Glaze
- 1⁄3 cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
For the Tuna Burgers
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh tuna
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 fresh hamburger buns, buttered and toasted
- 1⁄4 cup japanese pickled ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Sauce: combine all glaze ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer about 5 minutes. Reserve in a warm place until tuna burgers are cooked.
- For the Burgers: Chop the tuna to the texture of hamburger meat.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped tuna with garlic, mustard, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Mix well and divide into 4 equal portions.
- Form into patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the burgers and sear until browned and medium rare, about 3-4 minutes per side(or longer for well done burgers).
- Brush each burger with glaze and serve on a buttered toasted bun with pickled ginger bits.