Prep 45 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is good as a side dish or an entree. If you are short on time you can use a pre made pie shell.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 4 -5 ripe roma tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- chopped fresh basil (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine the flour, sugar and 1/4 tsp salt in food processor.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles dry oats.
- Add 1 Tbsp water and process for a few seconds.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp water and pulse 3 or 4 times.
- Place the dough in a bowl and form into a ball.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll into an 11 inch circle.
- Place the dough in a 10 inch tart pan.
- Sprinkle the cheese on the dough and then sprinkle 2 tbsp chopped basil on top of cheese.
- Place the tomato slices on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and then drizzle with the olive oil.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Garnish with basil.
- May be served hot or room temperature.
I thought this was a great side dish! I used a pre-made pie shell and 4 or 5 regular tomotoes instead of romas. I think next time I will use even more tomato slices, but it was very delicious anyway. My dad liked it which means a lot...he likes his food to be above and beyong the "average". It made a very good addition to my Mother's Day dinner for my mom and dad.
Very tasty, and since I also used a premade crust, it was also very easy. Used beefsteak tomatoes, and since they were very juicy, I salted and laid the slices on paper towels and let them drain for 15 minutes before finishing assembly.
Great recipe for using those summer veggies. I used a prepared refrigerated pie crust. Baked a sliced eggplant and added it to the tart along with 2 cloves of chopped garlic. Saved some of the mozzarella and added to the top during the last few minutes in the oven. Yummy!!