Recipe by CIndytc
I clipped this out of a Midwest Magazine years ago and it always gets rave reviews...Putting it here for safe keeping.
Top Review by gypsygal
"You beat me to it"! I thought I wanted to save my receipe for Basil-Tomato Tart here until I found that your receipe is exactly like mine. I've been making it for years and years. It is good hot or cold. I've given the recipe to many. -- I do add 3/4 cup mozzarella to the baked crust. A 1/4 more than you do. I found that when spread around the bottom. and sides of the crust it helps to keep the crust from being soggy. (especially with leftover tart, which reheats well.) Other than the extra cheese, I wouldn't change a thing. You have a winner :)
- 0.5 (15 ounce) packagefolded refrigerated unbaked pie crusts (1 crust)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 6 ounces
- 4 -5 roma tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- fresh basil leaf (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Unfold the pie crust according to package directions. Line a 9-inch tart pan with pastry (its easier to remove the baked tart if pan has a removable bottom). Press the pastry into the fluted sides of the tart pan and trim the edges. Don't prick, but add some pie weights. Partially bake in a 450°F oven to 5 to 7 minutes or until pastry is slightly dry.
- Remove from oven. Remove pie weights. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temp to 375°F.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes into slices; drain the slices on paper towels. Arrange the tomato slices over the melted cheese in the baked crust.
- In a food process bowl, combine basil and garlic; cover and process with on-off turns until coarsely chopped. Or snip the basil and mince the garlic.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the basil-garlic mixture, the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese, the mayonnaise, the grated parmesan cheese, and pepper. Spread the mixture evenly over the tomato slices.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for about 25 minutes or until cheese is golden on top. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve warm. If you like, garnish with additional basil leaves.