Fresh Tomato Soup With Orzo
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan; stir int he onions, celery, garlic and sage leaves; saute, stirring, ove low heat until the onions are coated with oil.
- Cover and sweat the vegetables over low heat until very soft; 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the peeled tomatoes into a sieve set over a bowl. Break tomatoes with hands and squeeze out the juices and seeds.
- Rinse any seeds off the tomato flesh; coarsely chop the tomatoes.
- Press on the pulp left in the sieve to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard seeds. Add the strained juices and the tomato pulp to the onions.
- Add the chicken broth and heat to simmering.
- Just before serving, stir in the orzo; season to taste with salt and pepper.