Recipe by Kimke
Wonderful when you have alot of tomatoes from the garden! Cook time is chill time
Top Review by Northwest Suechef
OUTSTANDING!!! This soup enhances the pure flavor of tomatoes and not a lot of other ingredients competing for that garden fresh flavor. I used a specialty (read expensive!) olive oil for drizzling on top with fresh chives as garnish, as I had no basil, but I know it would be delicious with basil, too. Thanks Kimke
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, halved crosswise and seeded
- 3 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a grater over a wide bowl, hold the rounded side of a tomato half and rub the cut side against the large holes of the grater until all that remains is the skin; discard the skin.
- Repeat with remaining tomato halves.
- Stir vinegar into the tomato soup and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Stir the soup well and ladle into chilled shallow bowls.
- Drizzle each serving with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle the basil on top.
- Serve immediately.