Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Wonderful when you have alot of tomatoes from the garden! Cook time is chill time
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, halved crosswise and seeded
- 3 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Using a grater over a wide bowl, hold the rounded side of a tomato half and rub the cut side against the large holes of the grater until all that remains is the skin; discard the skin.
- Repeat with remaining tomato halves.
- Stir vinegar into the tomato soup and season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Stir the soup well and ladle into chilled shallow bowls.
- Drizzle each serving with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle the basil on top.
- Serve immediately.
OUTSTANDING!!! This soup enhances the pure flavor of tomatoes and not a lot of other ingredients competing for that garden fresh flavor. I used a specialty (read expensive!) olive oil for drizzling on top with fresh chives as garnish, as I had no basil, but I know it would be delicious with basil, too. Thanks Kimke